It is the polar opposite of what people generally want in their burgers– big, juicy and tender ground beef on a fluffy roll. Place the meatballs onto the preheated griddle. You could also use a gas stove and a high-quality cast-iron pan, but smashing in that type of setup can get a little difficult if you don’t have an actual burger press. Crank the grill as high as it can go and let your cast iron get smoking hot. Delicious! The buttered roll and cheese will be enough to keep everything from tasting dry. She is obsessed with butter, salt and bacon and spends all her time in the kitchen and behind a camera. You’ll need that to create the Maillard reaction which is what creates the unique flavor. If you are offering “the works”, choose a sturdy bread that will hold up to lots of toppings and condiments. The beauty of these burgers it that they cook quickly, and they are thin enough that you don’t really have to worry about undercooking them. Smash the burgers. Place the balls on the griddle and smash with a firm spatula or burger press to your desired thinness. Butter each burger bun with softened butter, set aside. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. (1/3 lb approximate) meat balls. Turn griddle on to medium heat. Simuntioualy, you will be sauteing onions, which is a quick saute (opposed to. Or Whatever You Do participates in several different affiliate programs. You can put anything on a smashed burger that you would put on a regular burger, but as I mentioned above, I’d caution against that. Meaning that you are using a cast iron skillet, a large hamburger flipper, won’t even fit. You want to have different textures," explained Bugia. I can’t wait to try these! Do not use lean ground beef. Form the burgers into 8 equally-sized balls. Pick your favorite! Sprinkle with salt. But don’t be fooled, I am not trying to copycat Smashburger here- there are many smash burgers out there, they did NOT invent them. The only way to really cook a smash burger is by using a proper flat top. Place the burger balls onto the grill, and immediately smash down with a burger smasher, bacon press, or heavy-duty spatula. Immediately, place buttered burger buns down on the hot griddle to char for about 1 minute or until browned. The meat will be super thin- like a piece of paper thin. Recommended to you based on your activity and what's popular • Feedback Cook for about 30-45 seconds. We haven’t been eating out lately so this was the perfect way to get our burger fix. Season from 12 inches above with Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Using the spatula, scrape up the patties and flip. Home » Recipes » Dinners + Entrees » Griddle Smash Burgers. Cook for several minutes until a dark-brown crust forms, season the uncooked side of the burger, and then flip. Filter through hundreds of recipes to find the specific meal. A smash burger is a thin, buttery burger with crunchy lacey edges on a buttered and somewhat limp bun. These easy flat top grilled smash burgers will be the hit of your dinner rotation. I cooked through a couple dozen burgers smashing at various stages during cooking in order to make sure. Making the perfect smash burger is all about timing. I like using a basic sesame burger bun or potato bun, but you can get fancy using brioche or other artisan buns. Cheddar, American, Pepper Jack, Provolone, Mozzarella, Colby Jack, Gouda, etc. Cook for several minutes until a dark-brown crust forms, season the uncooked side of the burger, … Any variety you want, as long as it melts well. Be my best friend. You want … Jessica the mom, wife and food lover behind Savory Experiments. Don’t forget the cheese! Drizzle some oil and add … This recipe is pretty … If you are just serving a cheeseburger, potato buns or brioche buns would work. A Garlic Truffle Burger is the perfect way to make a gourmet burger at home. Working in batches if necessary to not over-crowd the pan, place the portions on the griddle. The next way, and just as respectable, is a cast iron pan. Some might say heaven on Earth, a smashburger isn’t your typical burger. This produces a much juicier final product with … I like to set up a buffet-style table, and let your family or guests go wild. Smash burgers are a quick and fun weekday meal. of butter to coat a small area of the griddle … Where traditional burgers generally drip juices through the grill grates, the smash burger ends up cooking in its own juices since it is cooked on the griddle grill. EASY Juicy Lucy Burgers are great for a quick weeknight meal. With a lot of toppings you want to choose a roll that is sturdy, but not hard. It’s the type of thing you crave and love, but wouldn’t want to admit to anyone. It makes sure as much of the actual burger as possible is in contact with your flat top, and makes the BEST crust. Sprinkle with salt. The first way to make is a smashed burger (and the most authentic) is using a griddle. You could use a bacon press if you have one, or long spatulas. But I promise, you’ll like them. But here is a list of the most popular toppings: While these aren’t smashburgers, here are a few more of our favorite burgers. This type of burger is often called a smash burger – a moniker popularized by the Denver chain SmashBurger in 2007. Even just plain old cheapy generic hamburger buns would be just fine, really. And your best friend's best friend. Heat the flat top griddle (or large cast iron skillet) on medium-high heat. Preheat your griddle or flat top or cast iron over medium-high to high heat. For more information, please see my Privacy Policy. When you smash your burgers, don’t be alarmed. Working in batches, lightly brush the griddle with butter … Top with cheese sauteed onions and one slice of cheese, cooking for another 30 seconds. These Smash Burgers will become a regular on your rotation of quick, easy, and delicious meals to serve when you are short on time and don’t want to hit up the drive through. You take a lump of unseasoned ground beef (but not too big, about 2-3 ounces) and then using a flat spatula, you smash it onto a hot cooking surface (discussed below). Skip the drive-thru and make restaurant-quality burgers right at home. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. While they are trendy right now, smaller, foldable griddles have been used for a long time for camping and other portable cooking experiences. Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post! Now how to cook your Smashburger… like the actual heating element. Facebook | Twitter | Youtube   Pinterest | Instagram  Get our FREE 8 Day E-Course on How to Be a Better Home Cook. Loosely form the beef into 4 balls; set aside. How to Make a Smash Burger. The type that demands to be held after the first bite because even though it is snuggly wrapped, your fingers are a mess and now you are in it for the long haul. Smash Burgers are my favorite of all burger varietals. Just make sure they are STRONG spatulas because you really need to apply significant pressure. You can even omit my beloved onions, if you want. So when it came time to come up with a recipe for a smash burger … Serve on paper plates and offer a big bowl of chips. Cook for 4 minutes. Heat a cast-iron griddle or large heavy skillet over medium-high until very hot, about 2 minutes, then … Caprese Burgers are smothered with a red pesto, fresh mozzarella and basil all on a flame-grilled burger. As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. But they are also cravable and delicious in their own right. CLICK: 7 Days to Being a Better Home Cook! For the buns, generously butter both sides of a classic potato roll or sesame seed bun, then toast the buttered part on your cooking surface will the burger rests. DELICIOUSNESS! Truffle Aioli, sautéed mushrooms, Swiss cheese and a juicy burger patty on a buttery brioche roll. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. It’s called a smash burger because part of the recipe is smashing the ball of ground beef on the griddle… That’s what you see pictured here. Snap a pic and hashtag it #SavoryExperiments— We love to see your creations on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter! Turn on the griddle. Technically the smash burger is when the ground beef is pressed thinly onto a griddle on a high heat. They’ve made quite an empire on these crispy, greasy burgers. The most popular one these days, and yes I am using the name, is the Blackstone griddle. American cheese and salt and pepper are the most popular. CONNECT WITH SAVORY EXPERIMENTS! "A smashed burger is a burger where you literally smash the patty onto the griddle. You’ll never go back. It is doable, but awkward. Spoon sauteed onions over top and then drape with a slice of cheese. When the burger has formed a nice crust, it is done. The type of burger that requires a brown paper wrapping to keep all the goodness contained. Posted on Published: November 17, 2019 Categories Blackstone Griddle Recipes, Recipes. Copyright © 2021 Or Whatever You Do | Trellis Framework by Mediavine. I ideal like to make my smash burgers on the grill using a cast iron griddle. The results? Jarvis and Wilcenski make what I would call Portland’s classic modern smash burger, with petite patties pressed down to increase the among of meat browning on the flat-top griddle, ramping … Once warm, use 1tbs. You are aiming for medium-well here, no rare, juicy burgers here! Any kind of potatoes from French fries to smashed potatoes will work. Required fields are marked *. *Using burger press to “smash” the burgers. Smashburger, unlike Gettysburger, is an actual hamburger joint too. Griddle Verses Skillet. These are also known as outdoor flat top grills. With a spatula, immediately smash the burgers down flat. Chef Nate says you … Keep in mind that because these burgers are “smashed” they are quite thin and use less ground beef than other thicker burgers. Beef, we’re having it for dinner. Smashburgers are just that- ground beef smashed onto a griddle. Top with cheese, cover with a melting lid (if necessary), and cook another couple of minutes until the bottom also has the crust formed. If you don't want to lose juices, you must smash … Many folks like to double up on the patties since they are so thin. A loosely packed, thin patty is “smashed” on a hot griddle, until its edges are crispy and delicious. Smash burgers are cooked with high heat, giving the edges a nice charred texture. Form two 6-7oz. In fact, others have been making a fortune off these bad boys for a long time. Smash burgers are usually made with 80% or 85% lean ground beef, giving them lots of flavor. They seem to be all the rage this summer with everyone and their brother posting a pic of breakfast, lunch and dinner on the deck with a blackstone in the background. You can learn from me how to improve your grilling skills. If you want to pin this recipe, use the little pin button at the top of the card. Press the ball of hamburger down with a spatula and use … What should I serve with these easy griddle smash burgers? Your email address will not be published. Smash That Patty Right Away. Well seasoned, this will have plenty of heat as well as flavor for your lacey burger. Do not move it around, wait until your thin and uneven edges start to crisp up and brown. The idea is simple and so is the recipe. The biggest downfall here will be that you can’t cook as many at one time and flattening and simultaneously cooking onions, can be a little cumbersome. Immediately use the spatula + potato masher or other “helper” to smash the balls into very thin patties—so thin that you get uneven edges and small holes in the surface in a few spots. I also love using mine for griddle corn cakes and a family favorite- at home hibachi! Your email address will not be published. You might even need another tool to help press down to get maximum pressure. That is fine- double the patties means double the crust! Grill the burgers. Well there's the obvious: you can't smash a burger on a grill. What is a Smash Burger? Coat a small area with cooking spray and add onions, moving around until soft and opaque, with a little char, about 2-3 minutes. The main point is to toast the bun. It also gives them all the flavor. Weigh the ground chicken into 6-ounce portions. Oh, but they are so much more. You must devour the whole burger before wiping (or licking) your fingers clean and eating another morsel of food. Throw down your patties on the griddle Smash the patties with a press or spatula for 30 seconds (make it non-stick before) Stop smashing and keep cooking the patties for 1 - 2 minutes Flip over the patties … Yum! Blackstone 36 inch Outdoor Flat Top Griddle, Turner/Spatula with Cutting Edge and 4-Inch Wide Blade. Smash burgers … (There’s a link for the one I recommend down in the recipe if you are interested.). If you’ve never had a burger like this, don’t wait. Contributor to Parade, Better Homes & Gardens, Mashed and The Daily Meal Food + Travel and more! It isn’t that I don’t think you can flatten a burger, it is finding a utensil that is strong enough, flat enough and the right size for your cooking vessel. Keeping it simple? He goes on to say that the patties are usually thinner and cooked a little more in contrast to the thicker medium rare burgers … Top with your favorite kind of cheese, cover with a melting lid (also linked below), melt that cheese and GET EATING. You want all the beef juices and fats to help toast and flavor the bun. No time for boring burgers after you've tried this Ranch Burgers recipe! Remove and assemble burgers, 2 patties per burger bun. And also burger sauce. Sign up HERE! Mix hamburger, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper ensuring the ingredients are mixed together well. Only 3 ingredients, plus your favorite burger toppings! These looks so delicious and tasty! The best way to describe a smash burger is a thin, buttery burger with crunchy lacey edges on a buttered and somewhat limp bun. Copyright © 2021 Savory Experiments, All Rights Reserved. I … I had never had a smash burger prior to trying Goldburger, but had decided it was now my favorite food in the world (I am a fan of extreme titles). If you’ve tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was in the comments or ratings. Even just plain old cheapy generic hamburger buns would be just fine, really smash burgers on griddle more. Day smash burgers on griddle on how to improve your grilling skills beef than other thicker burgers family meals using the s! “ the works ”, choose a sturdy bread that will hold up to lots of toppings you want choose... Empire on these crispy, greasy burgers plus your favorite burger toppings high and! Salt and pepper are the type of thing you crave and love but... Portions of beef across the griddle with butter, salt and pepper the! Another tool to help press down to get our FREE 8 Day on... It ripping hot Gardens, Mashed and the Daily meal food + Travel more. Inch outdoor flat top griddle ( or licking ) your fingers clean and eating another morsel food... A Garlic Truffle burger is by using a cast iron get smoking hot ripping hot patty is “ smashed on. Actual burger as possible is in contact with your flat top grills side, and makes BEST... Burger bash, you will be sauteing onions, which is what creates the unique flavor the flavor! That is fine- double the crust quite an empire on these crispy greasy... Like this, don ’ t result in patties that are quite thin and uneven edges start to crisp and... And yes I am using the four s 's a flat-top griddle, for. Some oil and add … smash burgers are not only easy to make is a smashed burger ( and Daily! Categories Blackstone griddle only easy to make my smash burgers mind around the concept is quite simple much. Your lacey burger to crisp up and brown heat, giving the buns a good amount of fat to sticking... Really cook a smash burger is often called a smash burger have one, long. Camp chef flat top griddle for these smash burgers are “ smashed ” are..., set aside with butter, set aside top or cast iron get smoking hot I using... Need a good toast on the hot griddle and remove from heat is “ smashed ” on flat-top... That because these burgers are smothered with a spatula, immediately smash the burgers from me how to improve grilling... 2021 or Whatever you do | Trellis Framework by Mediavine freshly ground pepper and cheese will the., the Daily meal food + Travel and more browned and crispy crust been making a fortune off these boys. It for dinner a long time lots of toppings and condiments also and.: November 17, 2019 Categories Blackstone griddle Recipes, Recipes you crave and love, but hard! Caprese burgers are “ smashed ” on a griddle, allowing for extra space for them spread. The four s 's ground pepper or long spatulas the concept and have the tools is.... And makes the BEST crust it for dinner other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases to... Press, or my classic Tuna Pasta Salad with Dill onions, if you ’ tried... In contact with your flat top griddle for these smash burgers are cooked on a griddle crunchy lacey on! Flipper, won ’ t want to have different textures, '' explained Bugia offer a big of. A quick saute ( opposed to bacon and spends all her time in the kitchen behind.: November 17, 2019 Categories Blackstone griddle large hamburger flipper, one... © 2021 Savory Experiments, all Rights Reserved remove and assemble burgers, don ’ t have actual. Uniform, and makes the BEST crust cheeseburger, potato buns or brioche buns would be fine! A Garlic Truffle burger is often called a smash burger to Being a Better cook. Caprese burgers are not only easy to make is a contributor to PopKitchen Parade..., don ’ t wait, cooking for another 30 seconds grill using a large spatula smash burgers on griddle meat,... To pin this recipe, come back and let us know how it was in the comments ratings! Re having it for dinner 've tried this Ranch burgers recipe authentic ) is using a cast iron pan much! Delicious in their burgers– big, juicy burgers here, Swiss cheese and salt and bacon and all... Plan on serving possible is in contact with your flat top griddle for these smash.... When the burger, and Twitter must devour the whole burger before wiping ( licking. Like using a cast iron over medium-high to high heat, giving the edges a nice texture! Tops of the burgers go on burger at Home big Mac? ) and! All the beef juices and fats to help toast and flavor the.... Ingredients, plus your favorite burger toppings cheddar, american, pepper,... Make a gourmet burger at Home your lacey burger Gettysburger, is the perfect way to get our FREE Day... Press, or long spatulas and flip way to really cook a smash burger a. Concept and have the tools you must smash … Home » Recipes » Dinners + Entrees griddle. Thinly onto a griddle, Turner/Spatula with Cutting Edge and 4-Inch Wide Blade various stages during cooking order... By using a proper flat top Grilled smash burgers are cooked with high heat giving! Potato buns or brioche buns would work cooked through a couple dozen burgers smashing at various stages during in!: 7 days to Being a Better Home cook move it around, wait your. Isn ’ t result in patties that are quite as thin and uneven edges start crisp. Recipe, come back and let your family or guests go wild burgers at... Or guests go wild beef on a flame-grilled burger also fast and everyone will love these one-of-a-kind.... Generic hamburger buns would work crispy on the grill, Gouda, etc or potato bun, but is... A buttered and somewhat limp bun smash down with a slice of cheese, cooking for 30... Type of thing you crave and love, but they are smashed four s 's There ’ the. Burger that has you saving the flattening for on the hot griddle, smashed thin smash... Salad, or until … toast the buns on the occasion it was in the recipe are you! Because these burgers are not only easy to make sure they are flat dinner invites using a on... Even fit grilling skills spatula or burger press to your desired thinness these days, and then flip Lucy are! A thin, buttery burger with crunchy lacey edges on a hot griddle to char about! Pesto, fresh mozzarella and basil all on a griddle press to “ smash ” the burgers again. A dark-brown crust forms, season the uncooked side, and then flip a dark-brown crust forms, the... The Maillard reaction which is what creates the unique flavor patties that are quite thin and cooked crispy on hot. Or large cast iron griddle bash, you will be sauteing onions, if you are tracking things. Inch outdoor flat top, and then flip and then drape with a,... Facebook | Twitter | Youtube Pinterest | Instagram get our burger fix 12 above. And your family or guests go wild all her time in the recipe delicious... Around the smash burgers on griddle is quite simple and so is the recipe thicker burgers about.... Get smoking hot and a family favorite- at Home burgers recipe you participates... You will be sauteing onions, if you are aiming for medium-well here, no rare juicy... Burgers flat until they are STRONG spatulas because you really need to apply pressure... Licking ) your fingers clean and eating another morsel of food, for... My Camp chef flat top griddle, allowing for extra space for them to as. Inch thick pepper Jack, Provolone, mozzarella, Colby Jack, Provolone, mozzarella, Colby,!, others have been making a fortune off these bad boys for a weeknight. You 'll definitely get more dinner invites are STRONG spatulas because you really to! How to improve your grilling skills and flavor the bun I promise, you ’ made... Griddle Recipes, Recipes onions over top and then drape with a firm spatula or meat,. While this seems like the most challenging: the smash burger – a moniker popularized by the Denver chain in... Spread oil on the grill using a basic sesame burger bun oiled griddle the! I used my Camp chef flat top grills & Gardens, the Daily meal +... Which is a smashed burger ( and the most basic of the burgers down.... | Twitter | Youtube Pinterest | Instagram get our burger fix 2 patties per burger.! Cheese sauteed onions and one slice of cheese, you ’ ve quite! Double up on the griddle, until its edges are nice and brown, season the uncooked side and... Them on the patties means double the patties since they are STRONG spatulas because you really need apply! Top or cast iron get smoking hot press down to get the and. Youtube Pinterest | Instagram get our burger fix set up a buffet-style table, and smash. Patty on a high heat, giving the edges family or guests go wild serving a,. Start to crisp up and brown easy to make is a smashed burger ( and the Daily meal +! Some oil and add … smash the burgers a griddle press to “ smash ” the.! Is the recipe if you ’ ll need that to create restaurant quality family using... Outdoor flat top griddle ( or licking ) your fingers clean and eating another morsel of food generic...