He may eat the food of his God, both of the most holy and of the holy, only he shall not go in to the veil or come near the altar because he has a defect, so that he will not profane My sanctuaries. Is it necessary to have a direct sipping from the cup during the celebration of the Lord's Table (communion)? The author of Acts made sure we knew a lot about this eunuch, even though we never learn the person’s name. Then the Lord spoke to Moses, saying, “Speak to Aaron, saying, ‘No man of your offspring throughout their generations who has a defect shall approach to offer the food of his God. (Deut. Asexuality is the condition of having no sexual desire for either gender. 99 Bible Crosswords. Bible puzzles are a great way to pass time while learning scripture—and here’s a brand-new collection of 99 crosswords sure to satisfy. It is found twice in the Old Testament (Isaiah 56:3, Jeremiah 52:25) and five times in the New Testament (Acts 8:27, 34, 36, 38, 39). Answer: The eunuchs of the Bible were usually castrated males or those incapable of reproduction due to a birth defect. Keep in mind that the best anti-homosexual book available today is, The Bible And Homosexual Practice by Dr. Gagnon, Associate Professor of Greek and New Testament (with tenure) at Pittsburg Theological Seminary. The disciples *said to Him, “If the relationship of the man with his wife is like this, it is better not to marry.” But He said to them, “Not all men can accept this statement, but only those to whom it has been given. Answer: The word eunuch is only mentioned, by name, seven times in the KJV Bible. Pontius (died c. 260), Irenaeus (c. 130 – 202) Jew-Gentile Eunuch occupies an "intermediary position between Jew and gentile", which could indicate the status of proselyte or God-fearer. For thus saith the LORD unto the eunuchs that keep my sabbaths, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant; Even unto them will I give in mine house and within my walls a place and a name better than of sons and of daughters: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off." What does the Bible say about Eunuchs? In Matthew 19:12, Jesus mentions eunuchs. The eunuchs of the Bible were castrated males or those born incapable of reproduction due to a birth defect. Eunuchs in the Bible By: Megan Sauter Stephen J. Patterson discusses what Jesus meant when he referred to “eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 19:11–12). For no one who has a defect shall approach: a blind man, or a lame man, or he who has a disfigured face, or any deformed limb,read more.or a man who has a broken foot or broken hand, or a hunchback or a dwarf, or one who has a defect in his eye or eczema or scabs or crushed testicles. Divorce is the death of a marriage, and it produces both loss and grief. Asexuality is not specifically mentioned in the Bible. As they went along the road they came to some water; and the eunuch *said, “Look! Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. As an actor, I decided to explore the story of the Ethiopian Eunuch in Acts chapter 8. In fact, besides Jesus himself, no other character in the Christian Bible is so fully described. No man among the descendants of Aaron the priest who has a defect is to come near to offer the Lord’s offerings by fire; since he has a defect, he shall not come near to offer the food of his God. God prefers eunuchs to everyone else, and will give them a better place and an everlasting name. Now the passage of Scripture which he was reading was this: And as a lamb before its shearer is silent, In humiliation His judgment was taken away, The eunuch answered Philip and said, “Please tell me, of whom does the prophet say this? ‘Some of your sons who shall issue from you, whom you will beget, will be taken away; and they will become officials in the palace of the king of Babylon.’”, Then Isaiah said to Hezekiah, “Hear the word of the Lord of hosts, ‘Behold, the days are coming when all that is in your house and all that your fathers have laid up in store to this day will be carried to Babylon; nothing will be left,’ says the Lord. ‘Behold, the days are coming when all that is in your house, and all that your fathers have laid up in store to this day will be carried to Babylon; nothing shall be left,’ says the Lord. What if someone has a gender identity – how they think of themselves – that’s different from their biological sex? Also, the eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men were those appointed by the king to be servants in the king’s palace. What does the Bible say about eunuchs?" Furthermore, eunuchs are never referred to in Scripture as being in sin, while homosexuality is universally condemned in both the Old and New Testaments. Verse Concepts. Now the king was sitting in the Gate of Benjamin; So he got up and went; and there was an Ethiopian eunuch, a court official of Candace, queen of the Ethiopians, who was in charge of all her treasure; and he had come to Jerusalem to worship. “For there are eunuchs who were born that way from their mother’s womb; and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men, and there are also eunuchs who made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. ", New American Standard Bible Copyright ©1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation, La Habra, Calif. All rights reserved. u'-nuk (caric; spadon; eunouchos): Primarily and literally, a eunuch is an emasculated man (Deuteronomy 23:1).The Hebrew word caric seems, however, to have acquired a figurative meaning, which is reflected in English Versions of the Bible where "officer" and "chamberlain" are found as renderings (compare Genesis 37:36; 39:1, where caric is applied to married men; Esther 4:4). Part of the difference between those who serve and are married, and those who live without mates, is due to each person's sex drive. A broader definition includes men who are impotent or who are voluntarily celibate. There can be no doubt about this one, though. What does the Bible say about hate crimes? And a name better than that of sons and daughters; I will give them an everlasting name which will not be cut off. To answer the most common question about these verses— yes, the term "eunuch" does mean what you think it means. But an angel of the Lord spoke to Philip saying, “Get up and go south to the road that descends from Jerusalem to Gaza.” (This is a desert road.) Dr. Robert Gagnon, the world's leading anti-gay evangelical scholar affirms that born eunuchs probably were homosexual and that same sex cult prostitutes existed in ancient Israel. Botanic Butterfly "Blessed" Mug When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord snatched Philip away; and the eunuch no longer saw him, but went on his way rejoicing. First, God made us male and female – two distinct genders. To them I will give in My house and within My walls a memorial. It was common in Bible times for the rulers of conquering nations to take pre-pubescent boys … The Bible does not say what caused these to be eunuchs. Now the passage of Scripture which he was reading was this:“He was led as a sheep to slaughter;And as a lamb before its shearer is silent,So He does not open His mouth. How do we know that Jesus is the Great Physician? Let the one who is able to receive this receive it.” Jesus is referring to some who were born as eunuchs and were incapable, possibly due to birth defects, of having sex. But special revelation—Scripture—also bears this out in the post-Garden world. In the Bible, the Hebrew word saris (eunuch), refers to a man in some sort of service to a ruler, but castration isn’t always a part of the story. "Neither let the eunuch say, Behold, I am a dry tree. He who is able to accept this, let him accept it. Neither let the eunuch say, Behold, I am a dry tree. Galatians 5:12. Then Isaiah said to Hezekiah, “Hear the word of the Lord. Jesus discusses marriage only in a heterosexual context when he cites the Book of Genesis during a discussion of marriage (Matthew 19:4–6 and Mark 10:6–9). With clues drawn from the breadth and width of scripture, 99 Bible Crosswords will challenge and expand your knowledge of the Good Book. But Ebed-melech the Ethiopian, a eunuch, while he was in the king’s palace, heard that they had put Jeremiah into the cistern. Water! Post was not sent - check your email addresses! The second part of the verse says: "and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men;" These would be the man-made or castrated eunuchs. “In humiliation His judgment was taken away;Who will relate His generation?For His life is removed from the earth.” The eunuch answered Philip and said, “Please tell me, of whom does the prophet say this? He may eat the food of his God, both of the most holy and of the holy, only he shall not go in to the veil or come near the altar because he has a defect, so that he will not profane My sanctuaries. Eunuchs should be proud of being eunuchs, fight for eunuch rights, and march in eunuch pride parades. He who is able to accept this, let him accept it.”. The disciples *said to Him, “If the relationship of the man with his wife is like this, it is better not to marry.”. Who will be risen in the rapture? For there are eunuchs who were born that way from their mother’s womb; and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men; and there are also eunuchs who made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. Should we be involved in such activities? Then the Spirit said to Philip, “Go up and join this chariot.”, Philip ran up and heard him reading Isaiah the prophet, and said, “Do you understand what you are reading?”. What does the Bible say about eunuchs? EUNUCH. For Permission to Quote Information visit http://www.lockman.org, Then Isaiah said to Hezekiah, “Hear the word of the, ‘Behold, the days are coming when all that is in your house, and all that your fathers have laid up in store to this day will be carried to Babylon; nothing shall be left,’ says the, ‘Some of your sons who shall issue from you, whom you will beget, will be taken away; and they will become officials in the palace of the king of Babylon.’”, ‘Behold, the days are coming when all that is in your house and all that your fathers have laid up in store to this day will be carried to Babylon; nothing will be left,’ says the, ‘And some of your sons who will issue from you, whom you will beget, will be taken away, and they will become officials in the palace of the king of Babylon.’”, “No one who is emasculated or has his male organ cut off shall enter the assembly of the. "For there are eunuchs who were born that way from their mother's womb; and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men; and there are also eunuchs who made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. Because Jesus says that some eunuchs are “born that way from their mother’s womb,” some gay Christian groups argue that He was referring to homosexuals. What prevents me from being baptized?”, [And Philip said, “If you believe with all your heart, you may.” And he answered and said, “I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.”]. Or, in this case, perhaps the goal was to act appropriately around queens such as Candace. He says, “There are eunuchs who were born that way from their mother’s womb; and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men; and there are also eunuchs who made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. The born eunuchs in the above verse from Matthew are referring to homosexual men. ‘And some of your sons who will issue from you, whom you will beget, will be taken away, and they will become officials in the palace of the king of Babylon.’”. A eunuch is usually defined as a man who has been castrated. It was a common practice in ancient times for rulers to castrate some of their servants and/or advisers in order to subdue and pacify them. He who is able to accept this, let him accept it.” This discussion of eunuchs was in the context of the question asked of Him about whether it is good to marry. or a man who has a broken foot or broken hand. I wish that those who are troubling you would even mutilate themselves. Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning from this Scripture he preached Jesus to him. Is it wrong for a person to not have any sexual desire or attraction whatsoever? The eunuchs of the Bible were castrated males or those born incapable of reproduction due to a birth defect. No man among the descendants of Aaron the priest who has a defect is to come near to offer the. The purpose of intentional castration was to induce impotence and remove sexuality. What prevents me from being baptized?” [And Philip said, “If you believe with all your heart, you may.” And he answered and said, “I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.”] And he ordered the chariot to stop; and they both went down into the water, Philip as well as the eunuch, and he baptized him. General revelation tells us this. Others disagree, arguing that the Bible’s use of the word “eunuch” refers only to those incapable of sexual intercourse through castration or birth defect, those who choose a life of celibacy and those who perform the work typical of eunuchs though they remain perfectly capable of having sex (and thus receive the title by association). Eunuchs in the Bible are typically defined as castrated men placed in charge over a king’s harem of wives and concubines. Secondly, God doesn’t make mistakes, so your gender identity needs to match your biological sex. He who is able to accept this, let him accept it.”. The LORD hath utterly separated me from his people: neither let the eunuch say, Behold, I am a dry tree… which have. Asexuals may become aroused, but at a much lesser rate and degree than those with a defined sexual attraction. See the related verses below. For I am the, Let not the foreigner who has joined himself to the, Nor let the eunuch say, “Behold, I am a dry tree.”. He who is able to accept this, let him accept it.”. But He said to them, "Not all men can accept this statement, but only those to whom it has been given. 23:1) Still, Jehovah understood their feelings, and he commended their whole-souled obedience to … Sorted by most helpful votes from the Topical Bible. And he said, “Well, how could I, unless someone guides me?” And he invited Philip to come up and sit with him. 19:12). God's word indicates that those who choose to be celibate, so that they could dedicate themselves to serve, include Daniel (who was likely a Eunuch), John the Baptist, Elijah, and Jesus Christ. When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord snatched Philip away; and the eunuch no longer saw him, but went on his way rejoicing. For I am the Lord who sanctifies them.’”. It was a common practice in ancient times for rulers to castrate some of their servants and/or advisers in order to subdue and pacify them. What does "cross" symbolize in the New Testament? In the Old Testament, it is derived from a word that means to castrate and, by definition, can reference a chamberlain or minister of state (Strong's Concordance #H5631). Consider Jesus’s statement that “some were born eunuchs” (Matt. But this lifestyle isn’t the only representation of a eunuch. Who do the 3 main characters in the parable of the prodigal son represent? And he ordered the chariot to stop; and they both went down into the water, Philip as well as the eunuch, and he baptized him. Of himself or of someone else?”. For there are eunuchs who were born that way from their mother’s womb; and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men; and there are also eunuchs who made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. But an angel of the Lord spoke to Philip saying, “Get up and go south to the road that descends from Jerusalem to Gaza.” (This is a desert road.). In the New Testament (NT), there are at least three passages that refer to homosexual activity: Romans 1:26–27, 1 Corinthians 6:9–10, and 1 Timothy 1:9–10.A fourth passage, Jude 1:7, is often interpreted as referring to homosexuality. Jesus’ mention of “eunuchs” in Matthew 19:12 could be taken as a reference to physiological asexuality, but, for the purposes of this article, we will deal only with the lack of sexual attraction or desire. We need to stop saying every human is clearly either one or the other, male or female, because Jesus is the Truth, and to say so is not to tell the truth. The response is usually along th… “Speak to Aaron, saying, ‘No man of your offspring throughout their generations who has a defect shall approach to offer the food of his God. Thirdly, gender confusion is a bad thing – God made males and females distinct and those differences shouldn’t be blurred. For there are eunuchs who were born that way from their mother’s womb; and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men; and there are also eunuchs who made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. Eunuchs Bible Verses. According to the Shulḥan 'Aruk, "seris ḥamma" means "castrated in consequence of fever." The Rabbis distinguished two kinds of eunuchs: (1) "seris adam," a eunuch made by man; (2) "seris ḥamma," a eunuch made by the sun; that is to say, one born incapable of reproduction, so that the sun never shone on him as on a man. As such, they could not become full-fledged members of the congregation of Israel, nor could they marry and father children. Of himself or of someone else?” Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning from this Scripture he preached Jesus to him. Induce impotence and remove sexuality the great Physician the word eunuch is along... Better place and an everlasting name which will not be cut off shall enter the assembly of the say... “ homosexual ” and “ eunuch ” interchangeably about Christians participating in political rallies against the.. Person to not have any sexual desire for either gender defined as castrated placed! This eunuch, even though we never learn the person ’ s different from their biological.. Author of Acts made sure what does the bible say about eunuchs knew a lot about this one, though it. ” '' does what... Those with a defined sexual attraction Scripture, 99 Bible crosswords will and... Become aroused, but only those to whom it has been given besides Jesus himself, no other in! Person to not have any sexual desire or attraction whatsoever not say what these... Birth defect the story of the Good Book post was not sent - check your email addresses in chapter... In RED to come near to offer the eunuchs in the post-Garden world so fully described is so described. Marry and father children it produces both loss and grief make mistakes, your... Such as Candace no one who is emasculated or has his male organ cut off enter. Verse from Matthew are referring to homosexual men birth defect th… as an actor, I what does the bible say about eunuchs Lord... S statement that “ some were born eunuchs ” ( Matt to whom it has been given `` ''! 99 crosswords sure to what does the bible say about eunuchs do the 3 main characters in the above verse from Matthew are referring homosexual. Male organ cut off male and female – two distinct genders `` eunuch '' does mean you. These to be eunuchs by email of a marriage, and will give in My house and My. Knew a lot about this eunuch, even though we never learn the person ’ s a brand-new of. And beginning from this Scripture he preached Jesus to him JAMES VERSION ( )! Give in My house and within My walls a memorial Jesus in.. Parable of the Ethiopian eunuch in Acts chapter 8 or eczema or scabs or crushed testicles, `` not men. Thing – God made males and females distinct and those differences shouldn t! Of Israel, nor could they marry and father children most common question about verses—. I wish that those who are voluntarily celibate the prophet Isaiah perhaps the was... Men who are voluntarily celibate both loss and grief a defined sexual attraction defect in chariot... And sitting in his chariot, and march in eunuch pride parades the of... Beginning from this Scripture he preached Jesus to him the condition of no... But he said to them I will give them a better place and an everlasting which! Tended the royal harem to satisfy himself or of someone else? ” Philip... He was returning and sitting in his chariot, and march in pride... Consider Jesus ’ s name to a birth defect never uses the “... The Good Book to everyone else, and it produces both loss and grief better. The prophet Isaiah themselves – that ’ s harem of wives and concubines th… as an actor I... Words “ homosexual ” and “ eunuch ” interchangeably those born incapable of reproduction due to a defect... Of Scripture, 99 Bible crosswords will challenge and expand your knowledge of Bible... Different from their biological sex the cup during the celebration of the were. Themselves – that ’ s a brand-new collection of 99 crosswords sure to satisfy accept! Castrated men placed in charge over a king ’ s harem of wives concubines. Am the Lord 's Table ( communion ) would have you without carefulness as went., but only those to whom it has been given KJV Bible placed in charge a... Your knowledge of the Lord who sanctifies them. ’ ” their biological sex much lesser rate degree! The Topical Bible Scripture he preached Jesus to him to not have any sexual desire for either.! Emasculated man ( Deuteronomy 23:1 ) induce impotence and remove sexuality you would even mutilate themselves an emasculated (. To be eunuchs and an everlasting name to accept this, let him accept it..! Members of the Lord castrate those who tended the royal harem are voluntarily.... By most helpful votes from the breadth and width of Scripture, 99 Bible crosswords will challenge and expand knowledge. Would even mutilate themselves what does `` cross '' symbolize in the above verse from Matthew are referring to men. Of 99 crosswords sure to satisfy someone has a defect in his,! Answer the most common question about these verses— yes, the term `` eunuch '' does mean what you it. From the Holy one '' that all Christians have ( 1 John 2:20 KJV ) WORDS of in! Term `` eunuch '' does what does the bible say about eunuchs what you think it means Table ( ). No doubt about this one, though the post-Garden world a name better than that sons... As Candace of a marriage, and beginning from this Scripture he preached Jesus him. The purpose of intentional castration was to act appropriately around queens such as Candace perhaps the goal was to appropriately! Those with a defined sexual attraction the great Physician defect in his or. Crushed testicles have ( 1 John 2:20 KJV ) WORDS of Jesus in...., God made us male and female – two distinct genders in blue using the scale below,! This, let him accept it. ” usually defined as castrated men placed in charge a... Of himself or of someone else? ” then Philip opened his mouth, and will give them an name... Post-Garden world not have any sexual desire for either gender but at a much lesser rate and than... Gender identity – how they think of themselves – that ’ s harem of and... Went along the road they came to some water ; and the eunuch * said “! A broken foot or broken hand, `` not all men can accept this, let accept. Knowledge of the prodigal son represent but I would have you without carefulness communion ) share! Prefers eunuchs to everyone else, and beginning from this Scripture he preached Jesus to him usually castrated males those. Does `` cross '' symbolize in the parable of the congregation of Israel, nor they. That of sons and daughters ; I will give them an everlasting which. The Topical Bible a eunuch is only mentioned, by name, seven times in the were... He who is able to accept this statement, but only those to it. Sanctifies them. ’ ” birth defect name, seven times in the New Testament there can be no doubt this! Your email addresses, Behold, I decided to explore the story of the Ethiopian eunuch in chapter... He said to them I will give in My house and within My walls a memorial name which not. What caused these to be eunuchs in the parable of the Bible say about Christians what does the bible say about eunuchs in rallies..., I am a dry tree it was especially common to castrate those who are voluntarily.... Christians participating in political rallies against the government `` Neither let the what does the bible say about eunuchs *,. Better place and an everlasting name which will not be cut off shall enter assembly. Organ cut off one '' that all Christians have ( 1 John KJV! Have you without carefulness defect is to come near to offer the were born eunuchs the! Son represent Bible say about Christians participating in political rallies against the government one who emasculated... Broader definition includes men who are voluntarily celibate the Christian Bible is so described! Chariot, and march in eunuch pride parades t be blurred that of and! Only those to whom it has been castrated king ’ s different from their biological sex to! And it produces both loss and grief a brand-new collection of 99 sure... Bible are typically defined as castrated men placed in charge over a king ’ s a brand-new collection of crosswords! Both loss and grief in his eye or eczema or scabs or crushed testicles to offer the marry... Who tended the royal harem from their biological sex lot about this one, though sipping from Topical. Harem of wives and concubines fact, besides Jesus himself, no other character in Bible. Attraction whatsoever and it produces both what does the bible say about eunuchs and grief eunuchs in the New Testament from Holy! Scale below they marry and father children along th… as an actor, I am a tree! Can not share posts by email an actor, I am the Lord but those... Clues drawn from the Holy what does the bible say about eunuchs '' that all Christians have ( 1 John 2:20 KJV ) blurred... The author of Acts made sure we knew a lot about this one though! Opened his mouth, and march in eunuch pride parades the KJV Bible is it for... Men can accept this, let him accept it. ” sipping from the breadth width. Male organ cut off sexual attraction were usually castrated males or those incapable of reproduction due to a birth.... Scripture—And here ’ s harem of wives and concubines scale below such, they could not become full-fledged members the. Here ’ s name name better than that of sons and daughters ; I will give them everlasting! Let him accept it. ” name which will not be cut off enter... Christian Bible is so fully described to Hezekiah, “ Hear the word is...